Sunday, November 3, 2013

November 20, 2012 - Postpartum Doctor's Appointment

Yesterday (11-19-12) I met with Dr. Connors for my 2 week postpartum appointment. I arrived at the office 15 minutes early, but the receptionist asked “Are you Kelsey?” When I replied yes, she immediately walked me back to an exam room. I imagine they do this with patients who have recently had a stillborn baby…that way we don’t wait in the room with the pregnant patients and those who brought children with them. Once she left me in the room, I began tearing up. I was there alone…without Kassidy. Normally they weigh me, check her heartbeat…this appointment was already different.
Dr. Connors walked in and we hugged. She asked how I was feeling, etc. I love my doctor! She is so sweet and has been supportive this whole pregnancy. She told me I was a good mom, and that she was happy to know that my family was so involved. Dr. Connors had visited me in the hospital the night Kassidy was born and got to see her. Although she didn’t turn out to be my delivery doctor, I was SO excited that she came.
I got a prescription for folic acid, which turned out to be 4 tablets I have to take daily in addition to my prenatal vitamin and 2 calcium chews…7 things! It’s a lot, but of course I will take them all. I’ll be on these folic acid pills for the rest of my “fertile” life.
I requested to be tested for MTHFR. This is a deficiency in which the body cannot absorb folic acid correctly…which can result in anencephaly. I went back to the doctor’s office this morning (11-20-12) for the blood test. I expect the results within a few weeks.
In 4 weeks I will see Dr. Connors again for an exam and then we will discuss when Stevie and I are able to try for another baby. The general rule is that I need to be on the folic acid for three months.
After the doctor’s appointment I went to visit Kassidy at the cemetery. She still has pink roses from her funeral there. Her headstone will not be there for another 10 weeks or s0. It will be an imperial red granite reading “Kassidy Briana Johnston    /   Nov. 5, 2012     /  Our Daughter, In God’s Care”   I’m excited because she will be the only baby there with the red granite – she will stand out! :)
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment